The Conqueror's Library

The Tavern

Forum Home > Xena of the Future > Übers what do you think of them?

darknlight

Basically the title says it all, what do you think of übers, is it anything you read,
do you have any favorites?

the perfect Ûber, how would it be, what is importent for you that there is in an Uber, shoud the über caraktors act like Xena and Gabrielle, or is it oki that they only look like them?

--

D'n'L

May 3, 2010 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chuckie

Personally, I'm not a fan of them. Act or look...all in all they just aren't them. Like, I just can't get my mind to wrap around that it's supposed to be like them. Though, I have a feeling one day I'll try to full read one, and I'll end up liking it so much, that I can't stop. That's what happened with Xena fanfiction as a whole for me.

May 3, 2010 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rio
Administrator

I love ubers.

I've been reading fanfic since the show was still on the air and I didn't like reading "classic" stories because I didn't want to confuse the storylines. And the show was so good, surely there was no fanfic that could measure up. While nothing has reached series-status, in my eyes, there are some really good stories out there.

I've read great stories of every genre of Xena fanfic and ubers are certainly a favorite. While I do prefer that uber characters resemble X&G, what really matters is the relationship - it's soulmates or nothing for me.

In a way I feel like some of the stories were a shared experience. When new episodes of the show weren't airing, all of us Xena fans were waiting for Missy Good updates or Mavis Applewater's Wednesday Afternoon series - good times.

If anyone's interested I can list some favorites and I'd love to hear your favorite's as well. In the meantime, Missy Good's Kerry and Dar series is practically required reading. And Mavis Applewater has a huge collection of stories that you probably shouldn't read at work, but they're good, trust me.

Rio

May 3, 2010 at 10:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

darknlight

Chuckie at May 3, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Personally, I'm not a fan of them. Act or look...all in all they just aren't them. Like, I just can't get my mind to wrap around that it's supposed to be like them. Though, I have a feeling one day I'll try to full read one, and I'll end up liking it so much, that I can't stop. That's what happened with Xena fanfiction as a whole for me.

That was pretty much how I felt for about 2 years ago, I didn't want to read any ubers, like you say I coudn't get my mind to wrap around the fac that they were like them...
And then one day, I came upon a story that were listed as a classic, but it really was an uber, by the time I figured that out I was so much into the story that I cound't put it down..
so after that I gave other ubers a chance, and now I cant stop reading them...

Mavis Applewater yes there is some good reading there..

Missy Good's Kerry and Dar series - never read that one actually.

--

D'n'L

May 4, 2010 at 6:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chuckie

So, I'm totally blaming Rio on me now getting into some UBERS. I've been reading some of Mavis Applewater's work, and wow. I guess I just never found the right UBER for me until now. Though, I knew this would happen at some point. It happens with everything I read. I claim to not read it, and then I search or come across something that catches my eye, and then BOOM I come to like it, if not get addicted to it. >.>

May 6, 2010 at 1:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rio
Administrator

Hurray! Trust me, I wouldn't be so pleased if I didn't know how may good stories are out there. I'd be happy to recommend some more stories, but I think you might be busy with Ms. Applewater for a while.

May 6, 2010 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chuckie

Actually, I'd love more reccommendations. I'll just save them in my favorites. :)

May 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

I have a favorite Uber that I'd like to recommend, but I can't remember the name.:(  It has a modern-day immortal Xena who is an Equalizer of sorts.  She meets a woman who is the wife of a mob boss, on the run from hired killers.  She calls Xena from an ad in the paper, and Xena works to keep her safe.  Xena immediately notices the resemblance to her bard, and eventually we find that Gabrielle is in there, somewhere. 

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  I'd love to read it again.

There's another Uber that I think is called something like, "We Never Say Goodbye".  Xena and Gabrielle are immortals, but only one of them has memories of their past lifes at a time.  Does that ring any bells for anyone?

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

Learn to laugh at yourself...it takes the fun out of it for everyone else! 
May 16, 2010 at 5:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rio
Administrator

Chuckie at May 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Actually, I'd love more reccommendations. I'll just save them in my favorites. :)

I can't believe I missed this post until just now. So sorry for the delay. I'll work on a list and post it soon.

Oops,

Rio

May 16, 2010 at 6:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rio
Administrator

Ok, here goes. I've listed some of what I believe to be the best stories in uber Xena fanfic. These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, there are thousands more just like them ;-)

And Playing the Role of Herself by dabkey (This is more "Original" than "Uber" but well worth reading)

Anna and Lily series by K.G. MacGregor

1. Shaken

2. Stirred

3. Strained

4. Anna's Christmas

5. I Told You So

6. Blood of My Blood

Cooking on High by creme brulee

Diana and Charlie Series by Paul Seely & Jennifer Garza

1. Surfacing

2. Persistence of Memory

Fast Break Series by Mickey Minner

1. Fast Break

2. Ghost Town-ing

For the Love of a Woman by S. Anne Gardner

Fusion by by J.A. Zollicoffer

Generations Series by J.A. Zollicoffer

1. Generations - Book 1

2. Generations - Book 2

3. Generations - Book 3

Jesse and Jennifer Series by Mickey Minner

1. Sweetwater

2. Bannack

3. Bozeman

4. Rolling Thunder

5. Fireweed

6. KC and Grump

7. KC and Grump 2

8. KC and Grump 3

9. Academy of Bards Valentine Invitational

10. KC and Grumps 4

11. KC and Grumps 5

King of the Beach series by Cate Swannell

1. Heart's Passage

2. No Ocean Deep

Licit Cusp by weebod

Lucifer Rising by SL Bowers

Nano Series by Jules Mills

1. Nano #1: Equilibirum— Newton's First Law

2. Nano #2: Equilibrium — Moment of Force

3. Nano #3: The Carnot Cycle

4. Nano #4: Newton's Second Law — Gravitation

5. Nano #5: Motion

6. Nano #6: The First Law of Thermodynamics

7. Nano #7: Work & Energy

Vignette - Love Bots

8. Nano #8: Illumination

The Sacrament Series by Morrig AKA Piti-pup

1. Absolution

2. Penitentia

3. Confession

Madame President and First Lady by Blayne Cooper & T. Novan

Meridio's Daughter by LJ Maas

Play It Again Sam by Ali Vali

The Player by weebod

Reece and Faith series by Vertigo

1. Private Dancer

2. Reece's Faith

3. Merry Christmas Reece

4. Faith's Heart

5. Keeping Faith

Shell Game by Zipplic

Touchdown (There) by Kim Pritekel & Alexa Hoffman

The White Trash Series by Vivian Darkbloom

1. Love and Death in the Trailer Park

2. Ways to Be Wicked

3. Mayonnaise & Its Discontents

4. I've Been to Pocatello, But I've Never Been to Me

5. Requiem for a Bitch

6. The High Road to Low Expectations

With Faltering Steps and Making Strides by Tonya Muir

May 16, 2010 at 9:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rio
Administrator

If anyone is intrested, I can post each of these stories/series with their own thread and provide a little more information about them so you'll know what you're getting into

May 16, 2010 at 10:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

That'd be great, Rio.  By the way, do you happen to know the name of the story I mentioned in my post above?

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

May 16, 2010 at 11:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rio
Administrator

Sue at May 16, 2010 at 5:39 PM

I have a favorite Uber that I'd like to recommend, but I can't remember the name.:(  It has a modern-day immortal Xena who is an Equalizer of sorts.  She meets a woman who is the wife of a mob boss, on the run from hired killers.  She calls Xena from an ad in the paper, and Xena works to keep her safe.  Xena immediately notices the resemblance to her bard, and eventually we find that Gabrielle is in there, somewhere. 

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  I'd love to read it again.

There's another Uber that I think is called something like, "We Never Say Goodbye".  Xena and Gabrielle are immortals, but only one of them has memories of their past lifes at a time.  Does that ring any bells for anyone?

Neither of those stories sounds familiar at all. If I have time, I'll look around and see if I can find them.

Rio

May 17, 2010 at 12:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rio
Administrator

I looked for your stories, Sue, but no luck. It might help if you can remember anything more about the stories or, maybe, if you could narrow down the site it might be on.

You might also trying posting to a "story search" thread on one of the forums.  Good luck.

Rio

May 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

Okay, I found We Never Say Goodbye, by T. Novan.  Great read, and heartbreaking when you think of the time they spend waiting.  Give it a look!  Here's Lunacy's review:

Very much in keeping with the spirit of ancientGreek myths, this clever new uber tale is set in the modern world wherean immortal warrior continues to struggle against the curse that haskept her from an eternity with her beloved even as it has brought themtogether again countless times through the ages. T. Novan imbues thestory with a combined sense of urgency, desperation and passion that isappropriate for the meeting of two souls always fighting to betogether. Original and nicely written. [See the sequel WARRIOR SPIRIT] - 22 pgs.

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

May 17, 2010 at 11:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

Sue at May 17, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Okay, I found We Never Say Goodbye, by T. Novan.  Great read, and heartbreaking when you think of the time they spend waiting.  Give it a look!

Oooh, oooh...I found the other one!  The Stranger in Your Eyes by Sword'n'Quill!  I love this one! 

Here's the write-up from Lunacy:

"This new bard makes a strong debut on the Web with acontemporary uber novel that has an ancient warrior still grieving forthe soulmate she lost thousands of years before. It is an agony thatbecomes even more acute when Xena suddenly finds herself protecting ayoung woman from the Mafia a young woman that is the mirror image ofher beloved bard. Well-written and carefully edited, the novel mergesriveting action scenes with some very emotional moments. [See thesequel TO STAND TOGETHER THROUGH THE STORM] - 189 pgs."

I forgot there was a sequel...I'm gonna check it out soon!

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

May 17, 2010 at 11:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.