The Conqueror's Library

The Tavern

Forum Home > General Discussion > GCLS Convention

Sue
Site Owner

I have been fortunate enough to receive a scholarship to attend the 2013 Golden Crown Literary Society Convention in Dallas, June 26-30.  The Keynote Speaker is Georgia Beers, and it will be attended by many of our favorite bards, such as D. Jordan Redhawk, Cheyne Curry, Lynn Ames, Lori Lake and a host of others.

I would love to be able to take messages and questions from everyone here at The Conqueror's Library.  So if you have something you'd like me to talk to one of the bards about, post it here, or send me a private message.  I'll copy them and pass them on at the Con.

Here's where you can find a list of all the attendees:  Registered Attendees

If any of you are attending, give a shout and I'll see you there!  Peace, y'all.

Sue

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

Learn to laugh at yourself...it takes the fun out of it for everyone else! 
March 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

The Library may be experiencing some technical difficulties with the Private Messaging service, so if anyone wishes to contact me they can send me an email at theconquerorslibrary@gmail.com

If you have tried to send a PM and have not received a response, please resend your message to the above email address.  I received a couple of notices from the webhost, but they were blank.  :/

Sorry for the confusion, folks.  The Conqueror plans to have the host administrator...disciplined...at the next public sentencing.

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

March 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rio
Administrator

A couple of other familiar names are Ann McMan and KG MacGregor.

Cheyne Curry and KG MacGregor recently participated in The Writer's Studio at The Fan Fiction Lounge. You could pass on how much that was appreciated. I also regret not asking KG MacGregor about the large role that BMWs play in the Shaken series. I wonder what the inspiration was for that, especially considering how attached Anna was to the company and the cars?

And, congratulations on the scholarship, Sue! What was your motivation for attending? Will you be representing the Libraries?

--

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie

March 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

Thanks, Rio.  I've become Facebook friends with many of our favorite authors, like TJ Vertigo and BL Miller, Cheyne Curry and KG MacGregor.  I met many of them through the auction for Kara Leonardo, who lost her partner and was seriously injured in an accident recently.  I've really enjoyed getting to know many of them.

When the opportunity of the GCLS Conference came up, one of them told me about the scholarship.  I was thrilled to win it, as this is a unique opportunity for me.  I have family in Dallas, and it's only about 4 1/2 hours from my home. 

I'm excited about the opportunity to meet all of these great authors.  I want to share with them our work with the Libraries, pass on messages from our members, and maybe have the opportunity to kick my muse awake and get inspiration to finish my stories.

I will certainly pass on your message, and any others y'all would like.  I'm really looking forward to it (in case you couldn't tell!)

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

March 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

Just a reminder...the GCLS Con starts Tuesday, so if you have any questions you would like to pose to one of the bards, post them here and I'll pass them on. 

I'm really excited about meeting some of my favorite bards in person, and I can't wait to talk to them about the Conqueror's Library and the Xena Library. 

Post your questions or comments soon!  Peace, y'all.

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

June 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

Whoops...make that Wednesday.  I guess I'm ready to go!

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

June 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

Just got back from the GCLS Meet-n-Greet (and what an auspicious day for it!)  I got to say hello to Library Member Andy from the Cocktail Hour, BL Miller, Allison Munger, Roselle Graskey, Lynn Ames, Cheyne Curry, Lori Lake, and KG MacGregor, along with several others I'm frankly too tired to remember, I'm afraid.  :roll:

I have business cards printed for the Conqueror's Library/Xena Library that I handed out quite freely.  Allison Munger was kind enough to chat with me for quite awhile, and her partner Roselle Graskey seemed genuinely enthusiastic when I gave her the card.  Rio, I'm afraid I bragged about your contributions here at the Conqueror's Library and your extraordinary (and primarily solo) efforts at the Xena Library. 

Hugely busy day today, and another full day tomorrow.  I am still trying to figure out which classes I will be attending...your suggestions would be very helpful.  :P  You can find the schedule here: 

GCLS Schedule

One side note...I must admit that I'm petitioning all of the authors to create new Conqueror stories.  Keep your fingers crossed. 

Peace, y'all.

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

June 26, 2013 at 11:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rio
Administrator

Wow, thanks Sue! It sounds like GCLS is off to a good start. I have no idea what classes to recommend, they all sound good so I'm sure whatever you pick should be interesting. I do have to admit that I'm a big KG MacGregor fan so that might affect what class I would pick.

Have a great time, Sue, and keep us updated.

--

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie

June 27, 2013 at 9:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

Today I attended two panels.  First, "Truth and Fiction: The Devil's in the Details" with Ann McMan, Bev Prescott, Jeanne Barrett Magill and Jeanine Hoffman , second "Surviving the Lonely Art: Prolific Authors Discuss Process and Self Evaluation" with Gerri Hill, KG MacGregor, Carsen Taite and Georgia Beers, with Karin Kallmaker as moderator.(see all photos https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151555648682858.1073741826.629542857&type=1&l=fe20bbc65c" target="_blank">here:  

I then attended the Master Class, "Outliners, Organic Writers and 'Pantyliners': How to Use Skills From All Over the Spectrum to Write Well," taught by Lori L. Lake.  During the break, Lori was kind enough to give me some tips that has nudged my muse awake...I may be able to finish at least one of my stories tonight thanks to her suggestions!

Rio, I spoke to KG MacGregor and showed her your post above, and she promised she will visit and answer your question.  I've been introducing myself to quite a few of our favorite bards, and many have promised to consider writing a new Conqueror story.  D. Jordan Redhawk in particular has written a note to herself about it, but...sorry, KG MacGregor said she doesn't think she'll be able to.  Karin Kallmaker will try if she has time.

One more note...Cas (author of When Do You Know) has agreed to do an interview here, on the agreement that I will guest on a podcast for her site Xena & Ubers.  Here's her photo:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151554310662858&l=82ec3ce3bf" target="_blank">Cas

Y'all, I'm having a blast.  I'll try to keep you up to date.  Peace.

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

June 27, 2013 at 8:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

Quick note...I'm having a bit of difficulty with the links in the post above, so let me know if you are unable to open the links to the photos and I'll see I can fix.

Update:  I've tried a half dozen times to fix the two links, and just can't.  Try to copy/paste the URL into the address bar, then let me know if they don't work.

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

June 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KG MacGregor

Rio at March 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM

A couple of other familiar names are Ann McMan and KG MacGregor.

Cheyne Curry and KG MacGregor recently participated in The Writer's Studio at The Fan Fiction Lounge. You could pass on how much that was appreciated. I also regret not asking KG MacGregor about the large role that BMWs play in the Shaken series. I wonder what the inspiration was for that, especially considering how attached Anna was to the company and the cars?

And, congratulations on the scholarship, Sue! What was your motivation for attending? Will you be representing the Libraries?

Hi Rio! The BMW inspiration was real-life. My partner needed a new car when we moved to CA and she bought a 328i. It just wasn't "her." However, I realized it was "me." I loved it but she ditched it for a Mercedes (which also wasn't "her"). We talked a lot about how cars fit people and that inspired Anna Kaklis.

KG

June 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KG MacGregor

I'll also add I've never seen the Conqueror episodes & never read Conqueror fiction (bad, bad Xena fan), so I wouldn't know where to start.

KG

June 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rio
Administrator

Sue,

I bet those were great classes. I've listened to Ann McMan and Bev Prescott on the Cocktail Hour and Barbell podcasts. They both seemed well spoken and informative, so I'd imagine that you got a lot out of those classes. There are so many familiar names there that I can't imagine you could go wrong learning from them.

That's pretty cool that you got Cas to do an interview here. Her podcast is a unique and awesome resource for the Xena fanfic community. I didn't realize that she was also an author. I'll have to check that out.

And, it's very cool that you asked KG MacGregor my question. Thanks Sue!

--

June 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rio
Administrator

Hi KG and welcome to the Conqueror's Library! Frankly, I think that's the best possible answer to my question about the BMW's. Thanks for taking the time to answer, it is very much appreciated.

Rio

--

June 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rio
Administrator

Sue at June 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Quick note...I'm having a bit of difficulty with the links in the post above, so let me know if you are unable to open the links to the photos and I'll see I can fix.

Update:  I've tried a half dozen times to fix the two links, and just can't.  Try to copy/paste the URL into the address bar, then let me know if they don't work.

I couldn't get the first link to work for me, even with copying and pasting, but I did get to see the second one. It looks like your album only has one picture in it. That's a great picture of Cas, btw.

--

June 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

I've got a short break before I meet the Cocktail Hour gang, but I'll try to post a longer update tonight. 

Rio, I'll try to fix the photo links, but I may have to email them to you to see if you can (please!) help.  Do you have my new email, by the way?  I really want y'all to see today's photos...we had the Author Auction, where folks bid for a dance, and the Author Autograph session, along with today's classes.  Tonight is Karaoke, so I should get some great photos there!

Peace, y'all.

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

June 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

You might be able to see the photos here:

Golden Crown Literary Society 9th Annual Conference.

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

June 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rio
Administrator

I'd be more than happy to help with the pictures. I checked your album again and it still looks like there's only one picture. Also, the Golden Crown pictures are on Facebook but it doesn't look like they're public like your album.

--

June 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

Ok, I'll work on it this afternoon.  I'm in KG MacGregor's class right now.  :D

--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

June 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue
Site Owner

Try this:

GCLS Con in Dallas.
--
Sue

Thought for the day: 

June 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.